Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Whole Wheat Pancakes and Buttermilk Syrup

I bought some wheat from a church cannery a while back. A friend went and brought me some back. Our cannery is not real close, so we took orders and brought back for people. So, I have been trying to make some things using my wheat. I also took our income tax money and bought a wheat grinder, that I just love! These pancakes are adapted from a Cooking Light recipe. I really liked them. We had them for dinner. My husband is not a big wheat fan, but he even liked these and the kids devoured them. I don't know why Cooking Light called them Whole Wheat pancakes because they are actually 50/50 if you look at the recipe. I really think you could add all wheat flour and make them whole wheat. I like these with Smucker's sugar free syrup, my kids love the buttermilk syrup. Don't let that name scare you, it taste like a caramel syrup. Believe me, you will not want to go back to regular syrup after trying this syrup. You can also use the Homemade Pancake Syrup, that I posted awhile back. I made a double batch of these pancakes and froze the leftovers. They freeze nicely and then you just heat them in your microwave. I also like to serve these with fruit and bacon for dinner.


Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups fat free buttermilk(can use 1 cup of fat free milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice as a substitute, mix milk and lemon juice and let it set for about 10 min. prior to using)
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
cooking spray
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg white. Pour wet ingredients into dry ones. Stir until combined and the dry ingredients are just barely moistened.

Heat a nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Using a measuring cup, pour 1/2 cup batter on the hot surface. Repeat until you've finished the skillet with pancakes. (You will have 2-3 batches depending on your pan size)

Flip pancakes when their edges look lightly browned and many bubbles appear on the surfaces facing you. Continue to cook until both sides are lightly browned. Serve with butter and syrup.

Makes 12 pancakes (I measured mine (1/4 cup) and making 2 batches came out with 25 pancakes)

Cost of recipe: around $2.00, I fed 6 with this recipe.


Buttermilk Syrup (We eat this rarely, it is special at my house!)
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup fat free buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
Place first 5 ingredients in large saucepan and bring to boil. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring to prevent scorching. (Mixture will foam.) Remove from heat and add vanilla.

No comments: